Friday, March 8, 2013

Valentines @ CUT

CUT (Score: 4 out of 5)

We have always been passing-by this restaurant in MBS and was always wondering why no one ate here. Lo and behold they do not have lunch service (that was why it always looked empty cause we never saw it during dinner service).

So now down to our Valentines date @ CUT. The restaurant is not very bright and I will apologize now for some of the pics as they are not very good. We have made reservations just a day before and was glad that we did because the place was packed. (Note this was also our Chinese New Year celebration).

Prime Sirloin “Steak Tartare”, Herb Aioli, Mustard - SGD 28.00




I like eating steak tartare and this was quite good. It just had the right amount of heat in it and was seasoned to my liking. I didn't have to add salt or pepper anymore. Unfortunately, the tartare was nothing special. 

Bread - Free


Normally, I don't think people will put free bread on a review but I'm a sucker for good bread. I'd actually go back here just to have the free bread again. I think I had 3 or 4 servings. Trust me its that good. If CUT decided to open a patisserie/bakery they will have a queue. 

Puff Cheese Pastry - SGD 10++


The first serving was actually free but again like the bread they placed some magic powder on this puff cheese pastry that made us ask for more. Unfortunately it wasn't free like the bread. But that's fine cause it was really good too.

Creamed Spinach with Fried Egg - SGD 18.00


You will know whenever someone is having this dish in CUT. You will here a "clink clink clink" sound as the servers mix the egg with the creamed spinach. The result: One amazing side dish that really matched our steak. This is actually Lynn's choice of must eat's in CUT.

Potato Tart Tatin - SGD 24.00


I haven't had a serving of tart tatin for quite a long time already so wanted to give this a try. Unfortunately this was not very good and for 24 bucks I would have rather eaten another portion of the free bread. The taste was ok but the potato was not cooked through which is weird coming from a prestigious restaurant such as CUT.  

Australian Angus, 300+ Days Grain Fed, Rangers Valley, Aged 35 Days
(Bone In Rib Eye Steak 570g) - SGD 105.00



Lynn and I shared our order of steak, which was a good idea. The portion was just right to share. The meat itself was very good and cooked right (we like our steak served medium). Another good choice that we did was not to order the sauce as the steak itself was tasty already. 

So how was the steak? I'd say very good but nothing special. It doesn't have the effect of eating a good wagyu beef that melts in your mouth when you eat it. 

Would I order this again? Lets talk next year when a special occasion comes up. SGD 100 for any food is quite difficult to swallow.

Chocolate Souffle (SGD 24.00) and Coffee (SGD 16.00)



The chocolate souffle was very good as well. At this point though we were quite full already so I was not able to appreciate it that much any more. 

Price and Value

All-in-all the bill amounted to SGD 300 including GST and service charges. On hind site, I think it would have been better for us to order 2 mains (1 steak and a lamp chop?) rather than adding up all the small things we ordered but no regrets as well.

The pastry chef should be praised. If he/she decides to leave CUT and opens up his/her own thing I'm sure it will click. I still can't believe that I'm raving about the bread at a Steak place. I know I shouldn't but well it is really that good.

The steak in a steak house should be the main star unfortunately this was not the case here.

Rating:

Food - 4 of 5
Ambiance - 4 of 5
Value - 3 of 5
Service - 4.5 of 5

Overall 4 of 5

Repeat Factor (No!! No! Yes Yes! Yes!!)
Yes! (only if I can afford it again)

Restaurant details:
Official Website: http://www.wolfgangpuck.com/restaurants/fine-dining/61447
Address: Marina Bay Sands Hotel Singapore, 10 Bayfront Avenue
Tel no: 10 Bayfront Avenue



No comments:

Post a Comment