Saturday, June 1, 2013

Tim Ho Wan @ Plaza Singapura (4 out of 5)

Tim Ho Wan @ Plaza Singapura (Score: 4 out of 5)

So, it was a Friday night and my good friend Mike is in town. Wifey also left the office a bit early, since it's "Eat with Family Day" and this was a good combination to try out Tim Ho Wan. One of the things you will experience when dining here is waiting in their monstrous queue. For a table of 5, wifey had to wait for 2 hours. Yup 2 hours just to queue. Good thing though is that once you are in, service is prompt and food is served quite fast + the food is rewarding.

The Restaurant


The Sign Outside 



Queuing for Tim

This is the "normal" scene for Tim Ho Wan in Singapore. People here love their dimsum and Tim Ho Wan will make people love it more. Not all of the dishes were superb but the special dishes more than make up for it.


The Order


Rice with Chicken, Sausage, and Mushroom - $6.00

I found this to be good but nothing really special. It had good layers of flavor and who I'm just a sucker for Chinese sausages.



Vermicelli Roll with Beef - $5.50

I agreed with Wifey that this wasn't so good nor was the pig liver version.



Garlic, Mushroom, Spinach Dumpling - $3.80

This can actually go as one of Tim Ho Wan's specialty dishes if you ask me. The skin was thin but not fragile. The filling was very tasty and this is currently on top of my list of best vegetable dumplings.



Pan Fried Carrot(actually Radish) Cake - $4.50

I love carrot cake. I always order this whenever I eat dimsum and Tim Ho Wan just makes it better. You can actually taste the radish and the way they prepare this is just really good. Its not over fried which makes it soft but the brown stuff makes it crunchy which gives it texture.



Steamed Egg Cake (Malay ko) - $3.80

This was very good as well and Wifey really liked it. I think if I wasn't so full, I would have enjoyed this more. 



Prawn Dumpling (Ha Kau) - $5.50

I love Ha Kau and some may say that this is too expensive but trust me this is so worth it. The shrimp is sweet and Tim is quite generous with their shrimps.



Chicken Feet with Black Bean Sauce - $4.00

I liked this as well. Taste wise I've had the same but I think Tim's version was softer without making the skin break.



Pork Rib with black Bean Sauce - $4.20

Meh... there are other pork rib that is better.



Baked Bun with BBQ Pork - $4.50

I apologize for saying that there are BBQ Pork buns that are better out there. This is the BOMB of BBQ Pork buns. The bun in itself is good add that to a flavorful BBQ pork inside and it just becomes magic in your mouth. Mike said that this is a perfect marriage of Kopi Roti and BBQ pork. Too bad you can only order 1 order (3pc)  per person.



Glutinous Rice Dumpling - $5.00

Fans of glutinous rice will like this but there are better glutinous rice out there. If they can have more fillings inside than just mostly rice, then it would be better.

Price and Value

Everything was around $160 for 5 pax. So that brings it about $32.50 per head. But we did order for about 7 people and had 1 drink each. I think $20 per head should be more than sufficient. Be sure to order the BBQ Pork Buns, Vegetable Dumplings, Ha Kau, Malay Ko and either the Glutinous Rice or Rice topping (Chicken, Mushroom, Sausage)

Rating:

Food - 4
Ambiance - 4
Value - 4
Service - 4

Overall 4 of 5

Repeat Factor (No!! No! Yes Yes! Yes!!)
Yes! If they start their number queuing system

Restaurant details: 
Address: 68 Orchard Road #01-29A, Plaza Singapura, Singapore 238839
No Reservation

No comments:

Post a Comment