Sunday, August 11, 2013

Ukokkei Ramen Ron @ Pasay Road Makati

Ukokkei Ramen Ron @ Pasay Road Makati (Score: 4.0 out of 5.0)

I love noodle dishes. Ramen is on top of my list but it is very easy to get disappointed as it is easy to destroy this dish. Soggy noodles, too salty, not much toppings, lacks flavor. None of these are applicable in this place. In fact, it is the opposite. This place is so good that I think I'll eat here every time I'm back in Manila.
I have to thank my sister Julie for recommending this place.

Note: Only the ramen dishes are excellent. The other dishes are mediocre at best.


The Food


Ukokkei Shio Butter Corn - P350

This was good and had a good helping of chashu as well. The ajitamago is a separate order but I highly recommend getting it as it just makes the dish taste better. The flavor of the soup is not as strong as the miso based soup but it is good none the less.


Ukokkei Miso Chashu - P380

This was my order and all I can say is yummmyyyyy!!!! It had about 4-5 slices of chashu that was cooked to perfection. The miso soup base was tasty and to my liking. Just add a little bit of chili powder for some heat and you are ready to go. The ajitamago (egg) is also an additional order but again it is well worth it (P40.00)


Yaki Gyoza - P120

If it looks too charred, then guess how it tasted.... Yup, I think I had better gyoza in food stalls. This is forgettable and so are the other dishes like their fried rice. Its like they forced other menu items just to provide option to none noodle lovers. In my opinion, they should just remove the other items altogether as it might just pull them down or make the other dishes sing as well.

Price and Value

If i paid for this dish 3 years ago, I'd say it was very expensive. But during this trip in Manila, things seemed to change and P300-P400 is the new "normal" price for dishes in restaurants. Though the restaurant itself is not in the prime Makati location, it may seem odd to pay this much but I didn't mind.

It would be difficult to beat the ramen of Ukokkei. I havn't tasted ramen in Japan yet and I think that would be the place to go to to find someone who can beat this. I can only name a few ramen houses in Singapore that can beat this (Men-tei in Robinson Road is one of them).

One problem though is service. I found them not to be very attentive and the staff seemed to be too playful to my liking. Avoid parking in their basement as it is too steep and they don't have their own restroom.

Rating:

Food - 4
Ambiance - 4
Value - 4
Service - 3

Overall 4 of 5

Repeat Factor (No!! No! Yes Yes! Yes!!)
Yes!

Restaurant details: 
Address: Tesoro Bldg., 822 A. Arnaiz Ave. San Lorenzo, Makati
Number: +63 2 856 4588
Reservation is not available.

No comments:

Post a Comment