Saturday, September 14, 2013

Tonkatsu Ma Maison (2nd Visit)


Tonkatsu Ma Maison (Score: 3.5 out of 5)



It's been a almost a year since my last visit and wifey and I craved for Tonkatsu. So we tossed a coin, between Tonkichi and Ma Maison and alas... Ma Maison won. I remembered I wanted to try their special Mangalica Tonkatsu.

The Menu



Restaurant details:
Restaurant details:





The menu didn't change since our last visit. I'm not complaining but people must be getting over the hype too.


Our Orders


Manglalica Tonkatsu - S$ 39.00

I waited for a year to try this dish. So its thick and a bit pinkish... for S$39.00, I was expecting sparks to fly on the first bite but unfortunately it didn't happen. It just didn't have the taste, texture and experience that I was expecting. I'd order the normal hire or katsu cuts the next time I visit. 


Cheese Mille-Feuille Katsu Set (Deep-fried Multi-layered Sliced Pork Cutlet with Cheese) - S$30

So wifey ordered the mille-feuille with cheese again. This was unintentional but it just really looks good in the menu... How can you resist pork and cheese in the same dish. The set came with the mandatory shredded cabbage and miso soup (which by the way is superb) and "brown" rice.

Price and Value

All-in-all the bill amounted to SGD 70++ which isn't so bad but I think something is a bit lost now with Tonkatsu ma Maison. Service was never a strong suit and neither was it for this visit. Food is still better than good but it didn't have the same surprise of the first visit. 

Worse yet, the Sunday queue I associate with this place was gone when I visited. I got there at 12:30 noon and was expecting to wait. We just went inside with no probelm whatsoever. Hope they revitalize the restaurant else this will be a restaurant I will miss if and when it closes.

Rating:

Food - 4
Ambiance - 3.5
Value - 3.5
Service - 3

Overall 3.5 of 5

Repeat Factor (No!! No! Yes Yes! Yes!!)
Yes

Official Website: n/a
Address: 333A Orchard Road, #02-35/36 Mandarin Gallery
Tel no: +65 6733 4541

No comments:

Post a Comment