Sunday, May 19, 2013

Curry House CoCo Ichibanya @ 313 Somerset

Curry House CoCo Ichibanya @ 313 Somerset (Score: 3 out of 5)

We were suppose to have lunch today in Tonkichi @ Orchard Central but due to some time difficulties we decided to have a quick lunch in 313@Somerset. It was a toss between Popeye's Chicken and Curry House CoCo Ichibanya. Guess who won. 

CoCo as far as I know is quite popular. There were several occasions where we visited the vicinity and there was a queue outside. Today, however, there was no queue. Just a few tables were occupied. Why? I think its because of a new restaurant that had an opening promo of $1 per sashimi/sushi dish. But more on that later.

The Restaurant


Yup, that's how the place looked liked when we arrived.


Traditional curry display for Japanese curry restaurants


Menu stand outside.



Our Orders



Thinly Sliced Beef Curry (14.00)

Apparently I didn't order the beef curry version of this but some other type of sauce. I didn't really understand their explanation but it tasted like curry and tomato sauce together. Wasn't a big fan of the dish. I liked wifey's order more. I think they can afford to put more beef on this @ $14.00. It also lacked some heat which would make this actually a good dish.



Pork Cutlet with Cheese ($14.00)

The pork cutlet was actually quite good. I'm not sure though why they decided to place the cheese far away from the pork. Since half of the plate is covered in curry, I almost asked the manager if there was actual cheese in the dish. We only saw it after almost finishing the dish, as it was covered by the curry.

The pork was crunchy but a bit on the fatty side. It would have been better if it was leaner and a tad bit bigger. The curry was also good and had the right amount of heat (we requested for mild spicy). Was it worth $14.00, just barely. 

The place used to be a queue magnet so I had a higher expectation. But it ended up just being mediocre.

Price and Value

With all the ++ we payed about $40.00. We had a small side of salad and a sprite (additonal $3.50). I can think of some other places where if I add say $10 more then I'd be a happier person today. 

I'll put this restaurant on my just barely recommendable list. Nothing great here. I believe they can improve their quality still and revive the place but if they continue where they are now, I think they will close.

Rating:

Food - 3
Ambiance - 3
Value - 3
Service - 3

Overall 3 of 5

Repeat Factor (No!! No! Yes Yes! Yes!!)
Yes



Restaurant details: http://www.ichibanya.co.jp/english/
Address: 313 Orchard Road, #B3-25 313@Somerset
Fax: +65 63419978

No comments:

Post a Comment