Sunday, May 26, 2013

Imperial Treasure Teochew Cuisine @ Ngee Ann City

Imperial Treasure Teochew Cuisine @ Ngee Ann City (Score: 4 out of 5)



So, I had the in-laws visiting this weekend and as usual we went around Singapore to have good food. First stop was Imperial Treasure. 

This was the second time that I have visited this place and the first time was more than a year ago. I don't really remember what we ate that time but I will never forget this place again. The food was very good with a few hiccups.

Our Orders


Teochew Dumpling - $3.60

Maybe I got to the table a bit late and that is why I didn't enjoy this much as it was a bit cold already. But even if it was hot I don't see myself getting wowed by it. 


 Traditional Glutinous Rice Dumpling with Pork - $4.80

This is a special Glutinous Rice Dumpling only available around this time in Singapore. Wifey likes it very much because of the combination of the braised pork, yellow bean, salted egg, and sticky rice. If this is one of your favorite dishes, I'm sure you'll love this one.


Dried Scallop Dumpling Soup - $7.00

My favorite dish of the day. I really really love this soup. The skin of the wanton is soft enough to cut with a Chinese soup spoon and the balance of the season is spot on. Just add a little of Chinese vinegar to enhance the flavor and you are all set.


Homemade Fried Vermicelli - $14.00

Another mediocre dish which was quite expensive. Nothing really wrong with it but nothing special as well.


Pan-fried Carrot Cake - $4.20

Nothing special here. I wished they can do something different with Carrot Cake in this restaurant.


Chicken feet - $3.60

The simplest of food when done right is impressive. You'd think that different restaurants can cook chicken feet pretty well but I have to admit that Imperial's is one of the best I've had.


Marinated Goose Web - $18.00

Served with some tofu at the bottom, this was a good dish but I'm not a big fan of goose so I'll skip this during the next visit.


BBQ Pork Pastry - $4.20

This is becoming a fast and popular dish in Singapore given that Tim Ho Wan is in town already. Wifey and I are split on this. I think the dough of Tim Ho Wan is better but the BBQ Pork inside is better here. It is still a must have at $4.20.


Soft Malay Cake - $3.50

Malay cake is normally nothing special but this Malay cake was very soft and beats any butter sponge cake that I have tried. If you are a fan of Malay cake, you will definitely like this one.


Steamed Custard Pao - $4.20

Open in the middle, smell the salted egg custard, let cool a little, and enjoy a small piece of heaven. 


Traditional Roasted Pork - $10.00

Very thin layer of fat, nicely layered meat, crunchy skin. Just place a little bit of mustard to give a little bit of heat. Very good in general.

Price and Value

For a party of 4, we paid $157.00 so that is about $40.00 per head. There are some dishes that I think were too expensive and didn't justify the price (goose web and fried vermicelli). But the other dishes more than made up for it especially the Dried Scallop Soup and Chicken Feet which were my two favorite during this visit.

Rating:

Food - 4
Ambiance - 4
Value - 3.5
Service - 3.5

Overall 4 of 5

Repeat Factor (No!! No! Yes Yes! Yes!!)
Yes!


Restaurant details: 
Address: Ngee Ann City, #04-20A/21, 391 Orchard Road
Fax: +65 6736 2118
Reservation is a must!

No comments:

Post a Comment